- Featured Presentation: How to Raise Your Children to be Leaders (Part 3)
- Currently reading:
- “The Art of Work: A proven path to discovering what you were meant to do” by Jeff Goins [affiliate link]
Welcome to this final part in this series on raising your children to be leaders. In the first two parts, we examined what it takes as parents to develop children who are leaders in their generation. And, we have discussed the importance of having an individualized lens as we train our children—adapting our efforts to their unique gifts. The first two lessons focus on the action that we are encouraged to take in training our children. This final part, however, helps us as parents to accept or live with the choices our children make and the direction God moves them.
In our feature scripture (Proverbs 22:6), we parents are instructed to “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”
- Click here to review the full discussion in Part 1 of what it takes to train up your child.
- Click here to review the steps discussed in Part 2 where we outline the importance of individualizing your training approach to each child.
The final part of this verse is the payoff. Ultimately, taking a healthy stance toward your child’s own leadership development may best be accomplished through 10 best practices that encourage the psychological and relational maturation necessary to become the leader that God has ordained.
10 Best Practices to Help Your Child to Spiritually Mature
- Show love
- Maintain a long-term perspective
- Stay present in the moment (appreciate life’s seasons)
- Don’t overreact
- Adapt your style of engagement to their life stage (Know when to let go)
- Be a guidepost (stay consistent)
- Pray for them daily
- Encourage incremental improvement
- Give yourself grace (forgive yourself)
- See yourself as a student (you are developing as a leader too)
I’d love to hear what you have taken from this series. Which of these things do you find easiest and most difficult to implement? Leave a comment.
Get your FREE copy of the “10 Proven Steps to Extraordinary Influence” at haroldarnold.com
Please do me a huge favor and click HERE to go to iTunes and leave me a rating and review. It will only take 2 minutes of your time. And, it means so much to me. And, just for you, I’ll give you a shout out on the next show.