NOTE: Though the content is audible, this episode has a technical problem with low level hissing throughout the program.
- My Week in Review
- Featured Presentation: How to Truly Apologize and Recover Your Relationship
You can find the full blog post on this topic at haroldarnold.com/trueapology
Five Phrases of a Genuine Apology
- Phrase #1: “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that.”
- Phrase #2: “I errantly said that BECAUSE…”
- Phase #3: “My relationship with you is very important to me.”
- Phrase #4: “When I said that, how did it make you feel?”
- Phrase #5: “I will do my best to never say that again.”
The key to keep in mind that these are not just words that you are saying. Rather, they are feelings that you are sharing. You are sharing your contriteness at what happened. You are sharing how important the relationship is to you. You are sharing a commitment to not make the mistake again.
In other words, a true apology requires your whole self to be committed to the act.
Be sure to use these suggestions as a guide. But, put it into your own words. It needs to sound like you.
I’d love to hear what happens when you’ve tried this approach to an apology. So, leave me a comment and let me know.
Also, it would be a tremendous help to me if you would leave a rating or review of this show on iTunes. Would you do that for me?