- Featured Presentation: Three Ways to Celebrate Blended Families
- Resource: Max Lucado’s book, Outlive your life: You were made to make a difference (affiliate link)
Click HERE to read the full blog post.
The Blended Family Boom
American culture is experiencing a blended family boom. This trend represents a convergence of several national trends:
- Our sexualized culture has created an atmosphere where virginity before marriage has become too rare
- 41% of all unmarried couples living together also have children living with them (a figure that is even higher in the African-American community)
- Even when marriage does occur, only about half of first marriages survive. The odds are even worse for second and third marriages.
- The presence of children is no longer a high barrier to divorce. In fact, about 65% of re-marriages involve children from the prior marriage)
The results speak for themselves.
- 2,100 new blended families are formed EVERY day in America
- More than one-third of the U.S. population is in stepfamily configurations (meaning 1 out of 3 Americans is now a stepparent, a stepchild, a step sibling, or some other member of a stepfamily)
I believe there are three ways that we can celebrate and support blended families today.
- Recognize their diversity
- Normalize their struggle
- Encourage their unity
What parallels can you draw between blended families and broader culture? I’d love to hear your comments below.
Please click HERE to leave a rating and/or review of the show on iTunes. This will help me tremendously.